The Wichita Falls Police Department is pleased to announce the opening of its Safe Exchange Zone. The Safe Exchange Zone provides a safe environment for people, who buy, sell, or trade items in private party transactions, with people they don’t know. Additionally, the area can be used as a safe and neutral site for child custody exchanges
The Safe Exchange Zone is located in the back parking lot of the Wichita Falls Police Department at 610 Holliday, Wichita Falls, TX. The Safe Exchange Zone consists of two parking spaces marked with yellow striping, are marked with a Safe Exchange Zone signage and are under 24 hour surveillance video.
The goal of the Safe Exchange Zone is to help reduce and deter fraudulent transactions, thefts, violent custody disputes and robberies.
A few safety tips in regards to private party transactions:
- Only conduct transactions with local buyers/sellers
• Insist on meeting at the Safe Exchange Zone or at least a public place
• Do not invite strangers into your home, and do not go to theirs
• Take your cell phone with you
• Tell a friend or family member about your intentions and when and where and with whom you are meeting
• Complete transactions during daylight hours
• Be extra cautious in buying/selling valuable items
• Trust your instincts and be cautious of scams
The exchange of drugs, weapons, alcohol, and/ or any illegal items is not permitted. The employees of the Wichita Falls Police Department cannot act as an official witness to transactions, do not give legal advice, and will not settle civil disputes related to any transactions. The City of Wichita Falls or its employees are not responsible in any way for the value, authenticity, or legitimacy of such transactions. All exchanges must be person-to-person. In the case of custody transfers, the Safe Exchange Zone is not a drop-off area where parents can leave children for a later pick-up time. The Safe Exchange Zone parking spaces are available free on a first-come, first-served basis.