The Wichita Falls Police Department is participating in this years TxDOT Click It or Ticket Campaign which runs from May 21st through June 3rd. We will have additional Officers on the street focusing on Occupant Protection for all passengers in vehicles. WFPD has partnered with TxDOT’s Click It or Ticket since 2002. Last year WFPD alone issued 287 seatbelt citations and 10 child safety seat citations during the campaign.
Here Is the Law
Texas law now requires drivers and all passengers in vehicles to be secured by a safety belt.
Any child under the age of 8 must be restrained in an approved child passenger safety seat unless taller than 4 feet, nine inches.
Safety Seat Guidelines
Safety belts are designed for adults, not children. Use a booster seat to lift your child up and prevent severe injuries in a crash.
Please remember the following guidelines when buying the proper seat for your child:
Birth-1 Year, Up to 35 Pounds
- Use a rear-facing seat until your baby reaches the weight limit or height limit of the seat.
- Secure the chest clip even with your baby’s armpits.
- Fasten harness straps snugly against your baby’s body.
1-4 Years, 20 to 40 Pounds
- Use a forward-facing seat for as long as the safety seat manufacturer recommends it.
- Fasten harness straps snugly against your child’s body.
- Secure the chest clip even with your child’s armpits.
- Latch the tether strap to the corresponding anchor if your vehicle has one.
4-8 Years, Over 40 Pounds
- Use a booster seat.
- Fasten the lap belt across your child’s thighs and hips, not stomach.
- Strap the diagonal belt across the chest to rest on the shoulder, not the neck.