Believe it or not, but it is that time of the year again when many people have packages sent to their residence in preparation for the upcoming holiday season. The Wichita Falls Police Department would like to remind everyone of a few simple precautions that you can take to keep from becoming a victim of theft.
If you have ever ordered clothing, jewelry, gifts, or any other merchandise by phone, computer, or mail chances are those items were delivered straight to your home. Most deliveries DO NOT require a signature and are generally left at your front door even if no one is home to accept them. These packages, which quickly catch the eye of potential thieves, offer criminals that “Crime of Opportunity” they are looking for. Thieves looking to steal your packages will follow or watch for UPS, Fed Ex, US Mail, and other delivery service trucks so they can target your home after the parcels are delivered.
Below are some “Package Theft Prevention Tips” for you to use which will help reduce your chances of becoming a victim of this crime.
- Ask for a tracking number. Most major shipping companies offer this service at no charge. This number allows you to track your packages and notifies you when they will be delivered.
- Request a “Signature Delivery Option”. This requires a signature when the packages are delivered and ensures they will not be left at the front door
- Request a specific drop off time and date when you will be home to accept your packages
- Arrange to have your packages held at the shipping service so you can pick them up
- Ask the delivery service to leave your packages at a side or back door. An enclosed porch where packages are out of sight is also a good option
- Have your packages delivered to the home of a relative or neighbor who will be there to accept them
- Ask a trustworthy neighbor to keep a “Watchful Eye” out for you packages. If they’re willing, ask them to safeguard your packages until you return home
- If your packages do not arrive as scheduled contact the sender immediately
What Should You Do If You See Packages Being Stolen In Your Neighborhood?
- Call Police.
- Supply Police with an accurate description of the suspect(s) and any vehicles that may be used.