Take, Lock, Hide. The basic crime fighting tool to help reduces vehicle burglaries.
- Lock your vehicle. It takes seconds to break a window, but doing so makes noise – and criminals hate making noise.
- Hide valuables from sight, or take items with you. If a criminal doesn’t see anything, they’re less likely to break in, and will move on.
- Park in areas that are not secluded. Well lit parking lots, with good “sight lines”, make it more likely your vehicle is visible to the general public.
- Aftermarket car stereos; consider models with removable face plates. Take the face plate with you when your leave your vehicle.
- Record serial numbers of property you may leave inside your vehicle. If stolen, it makes it more likely the suspect, if he tries to pawn, will be identified.
There is no 100% fool-proof way to prevent all crime. You can make yourself less likely to be a victim of a burglary. Simply locking your vehicle and removing property from inside is half the battle.