Residents of Wichita Falls and Wichita County are advised of the threat for the potential of large-scale flooding along the Wichita River. Predictions from the National Weather Service indicate that significant flooding along the Wichita River is very likely.
The National Weather Service is calling this an “historic” flood event.
The City of Wichita Falls and Wichita County have issued an evacuation order for residents living along the Wichita River within one-half mile of either side of the river.
A map depicting the areas that are expected to flood can be found on the City Website at http://www.wichitafallstx.gov or the Wichita County Website at http://www.co.wichita.tx.us. Anyone living in the red area of the map is advised to evacuate.
Evacuation preparations should include:
- Gathering all medications
- Making plans for housing all pets (remember their medication and special diet foods)
- Preparing the contents of your home: raising items, electronics, hazardous materials (paint, solvents, cleaning supplies, important papers…etc.) to a level well above the level the water may have reached in 2007
- Disconnecting electrical appliances
- Securing a copy of your insurance policies and other important documents
Residents can call 2-1-1 for additional information or the Emergency Operations Center at 761-7909.